Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pytash: Chapter 3

I never realized how much goes in to chosing books for a classroom.  I really enjoyed the lists of books Jago gives her 10th grade students.  The list of fourteen definitions of a classic were also interesting.  The first one, "The classics are those books about which ou usually hear people saying: "I'm rereading..." never "I'm reading..."  I have noticed that I say that about classics that I am reading.

Jago said her 10th graders read a total of twenty books.  That is alot of books.  I don't think I read that many books a year.  I think those are high expectations.  I would never ask my students to do something I don't think I could do myself.

I really like that she has her students keep a log of all the books they read throughtout high school.  I wish I had a list of all the books I read back then.

The Criteria for Choosing Books was my favorite part of the chapter because, I always wondered how teachers choose books for their students.  I am going to make sure to always have this book on my shelf so I can go back and look over the criteria for choosing books so I can best serve my students.

3 comments:

  1. I also thought the criteria for choosing books was interesting. I think we tend to spend so much time thinking about how we're going to teach books and what themes we are going to focus on, that we haven't really thought of the rationale for teaching the books we choose. I'm also planning on keeping this book to refer to when I begin teaching literature and choosing books for students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Criteria for choosing the books was my favorite part of this chapter as well. I always wondered how my teachers chose their books as well, and I think as a new teacher I worry that I won't make the right decisions. The criteria put me at ease a bit, and I think that I am excited to pick books for my classes now. I really am enjoying reading this book. I will definitely keep it with me and in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like her Criteria for book selections. I think it helps us think about why certain books should be taught.

    ReplyDelete