Monday, March 21, 2011

Foot: Publish or Perish

Most of the time when I go shopping for books I go to Borders.  That is my go-to bookstore.  I remember the first time I saw the Sony e-Reader sold at Borders.  I couldn't understand why anyone would want to read a book that wasn't really a book.  I hate reading on the computer, I print out all the articles we need to read for class because I can't stand reading them on my computer.  Finally, I took a good look at the Sony e-Reader and read everything I could find about it.  It's not like reading on a computer screen.  The screen of the e-Reader is just like a book.  You can even "flip" pages with a swipe of your finger.  I bought an e-Reader because I thought it might be interesting.  It is...... I still buy real books but I buy alot of e-Books because I like that I can bring a whole library of books with me on vacation but it's just the size and weight of a small hardback book.



I don't think I would ever just buy e-Books because I still like to flip through my books.  Sometimes it is easier to find a spot in a real book.  I can highlight, anotate and bookmark pages in my e-Reader..... But I still can't give up my real books.



For Christmas I bought each of my children a V-Reader made by V-Tech...... They are kindof like my e-Reader but they are for children..... For the most part they have book cartrages that they put in the V-Reader. They can have the books read to them by the reader or they can read them by themselves.  They also have reading games on them so they can work on their comprehension, spelling, and other reading skills.  I can also connect their readers to my computer and download other books for them.  My kids love their V-Readers because they can use them by themselves.

This whole article is about how everyone is afraid how e-Readers are going to destroy the publishing industry.  My personal opintion is that we will need both for a long time.  I know I'm not going to give up my real books anytime soon.

2 comments:

  1. You are not alone! You are not alone! YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I have to print out our articles for class, simply because I need to highlight main ideas and write my connections and ideas in the margins. This was actually a main learning tool I used with my Firestone student to help his reading comprehension and it seemed to work really well. While he used underlining instead of highlighting, him taking the time to make those marks slowed him down and forced him to actually READ. I think that reading from a computer and reading from a sheet a paper have two very different purposes. When I read from a computer, it should be fast reading; jumping from one idea to the next with hyperlinks connecting the two. Paper reading (traditional reading) seems to me a better way for students to learn. They can have the paper in their hand for them to do with it what they wish; colors, underlines, whatever they need to improve their critical thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of buying an E-Reader just because I love the feel of my books and the weight and the whole experience; but the more I hear about them the more I think I'll at least have to try it out.

    The V-Readers sound amazing! I used to work at a library and we had a very crude version of the V-Reader. You had to plug a small chip into a book and it read to you. I always loved that idea and the thought of the V-Reader is really exciting.

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete