Monday, March 7, 2011

Pytash: Chapter 5

I really enjoyed this chapter because poetry was really something I struggled with in high school.  I think it is an interesting idea to include familiar song lyrics in classroom lessons.  Song lyrics might be easier for students to interpret and analysis and it can help them get their feet wet in poetry. 

I like the thinking aloud exercise because a lot of times students don't know how to start to think about a poem and if the teacher shows the students how to think out loud they will get used to doing it and will eventually be able to do it when they read to themselves.

Jago also has her students to free write before a class discussion so she is able to call on any student and they should have something to say.  She gives students questions that will have exploratory answers; "Maybe Wordsworth is thinking. . ." "I wonder if. . . ."

I think this chapter will come in handy when it is my turn to teach poetry.

1 comment:

  1. I liked how she started off this chapter by relating poems to song lyrics. I think it is so much easier to learn about something, especially in high school, if that thing can be related to your life. A lot of kids may think that poetry has no effect on their lives, but if they look closely at their music they will see that this is not the case. I think this is a great way to introduce poetry to the class.

    ReplyDelete