Thursday, March 31, 2011

Foot: Great Films and How to Teach Them

My favorite chapter of this book is Chapter 7 because it is all about movie genres.  I like this because it would be a great way to get students to understand literary genres.  I would like to use movies in my classroom and I want my students to appreciate the film versions of the books they read.  If there is a film version of a book I have my students read I want them to see it after they read the book.  I want them to compare the book and the movie.  It would make a good project.  And if there isn't a film version of a book they are reading they could make a project of taking a scene from the book and filming it.  They could also write a paper about if a movie was a different genre.... For example if a Western was turned into a Musical, how would it change?

Chapter 8 was also very interesting to me because it is all about how different people are represented in films.  It can be different than how people are represented in books.  In movies camera angles and the actors that play the characters are very important.  In books the way characters are described determines how the reader sees the characters.  I think it is important for students to see both aspects of a story.

2 comments:

  1. I really like that you compared movie genres to literary genres. I think that more students will be able to discern movie genres over book genres because it is a text they are more familiar with. I like your idea of having the students do a comparison between the book and movie versions of a story. That way they need to experience both forms of the text to complete the assignment and they can look more critically at both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really liked Chapter 7 and I thought it would pair well with Chapter 6, which was film theories. Just like how you said you would pair them with literary genres, it's also a great way using chapter 6 to introduce students to literary theory through film theory, which they may enjoy more or be more inclined to interact with.

    I know in high school we used to show films of books we read, but they could have gone a lot deeper with it if they had actually included theory and genre more into it to actually discuss it more than just "okay, here's the movie version. be sure to think about and stuff."

    ReplyDelete