Thursday, March 31, 2011

Foot: I'm So Totally, Digitally Close to You

When I read this article I started thinking about my Facebook habits.  On page three of the article it says, "For many people - particularly anyone over the age of 30 - the idea of describing your blow-by-blow activities in such detail is absurd."  I agree with this comment.  I am 30 years old and I can't imagine telling everyone every little thing I am doing.  I post something when it's important or exciting.  I don't tell my entire life story, and I don't post something 20 times a day. 

I also agree with the rest of the article about keeping up with all my friends.  I have over 200 friends on Facebook.  I know each and every one of them because most of them I went to high school with.  I do exactly what the article says, I skim through the news feed and and if anything important pops up I can talk to that friend about it.  Also when I see my friends in person I don't have to ask how they have been doing because I have been keeping up with their Facebook pages and I already know what is going on but we can start talking like we left a conversation and not miss a beat.

I like Facebook because it is a great way to keep up with my friends.  I also like the idea that updating Facebook can make you more aware of who you are.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it is nice to keep up with friends I have otherwise stopped talking to, and I'm not like that at all. I like to let my friends know what i'm up to, but I don't like to give them every detail of my life. Most of the time, I put a book or movie quote I find interesting, or tell them about something exciting going on in my life. When I think about it, I shouldn't be so forthcoming with information about my life because there are predators that will read them and follow me. I'm not that paranoid, but it's a possibility and one that our students need to know as well.

    ReplyDelete