Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Chapter 14

I really liked the list of things reluctant reader look for in books, such as, thin books and short chapters, white space, some illustrations, especially of characters, well defined characters, plots with a lot of action that begins right away, mysteries, funny books, characters their age or only slightly older, characters who face tough choices, realistic language and an easily defined conflict.  I never thought about those things before.  When I look for a book, I read the title and the back of the book.  I also look to see what other books that author has written.  When I choose books for my students I'm going to look more for the things they are looking for.  I want students to like to read and to want to read. 

2 comments:

  1. I also liked this section. These kids demand a lot from books but good thing there are so many great YA books to choose from! I also have the same criteria you do for finding a good book, but I also like series books a lot because if I like the first one odds are I will like the rest of them.

    I feel that as long as we ask the question Beers presents in the chapter and that is, "If you absolutely had to read a book, what would it need to be like for you to enjoy it?"

    If we listen to what our students have to say, we could find books that they enjoy and hopefully give them that bug for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is important to think about how your students might view a book and their reading experiences.

    ReplyDelete